Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Raw Food Surprise - part 5

This is part 5 of my journey into raw food...

I Am Not a Raw Foodist, or Am I?

After my husband and I were in alignment to purchase a new Vita-mix, we went on our morning walk. When we returned, I was shocked to see a message from someone about my "Wanted Vita-mix" post. I immediately called them up to find out what model they had and where they lived (and how far I would have to drive.) My jaw literally dropped when I was told he had a year old barely used blender and lived only two miles from my house. His asking price was extremely fair $270.

Can I tell you how excited I was? I was in one of those out of this world experiences. I told him I would be there in a few minutes.

When we arrived, the blender was in perfect condition and the man was really nice. He spoke about how this was too much blender for his world. My husband responded by telling him I was going into raw food and was making green smoothies with it. I was shocked! I immediately told the man, I was NOT, in fact, going into raw food, I just liked the green smoothies.

We stopped by the co-op, out of the way, on the way home to pick up some kale. When we got home and was sooo excited to use my new high powered blender to make my green smoothie!
It was delicious and I felt so happy! I drank (chewed) my smoothie as I continued to read David Wolfe's "Sunfood Diet" Book with intense interest.

Over the next few days, I drank one or two green smoothies daily and I started to notice something that is still a mystery to me.

I began to crave less and less cooked food while craving more and more alive raw foods.

I also began something I didn't expect, drinking green smoothies... Detox!

The smoothies were so energy giving, I was loving it! However the detox was counter-balancing my joy. David's book said something about detox, but I didn't think detox would happen to my body unless I was 100% raw, and I was still eating something cooked everyday, like some cheese, or a small bowl of pasta.

I began to get short headaches in different spots on my head, acne all over my body, horrible congestion (like I had a fur ball I couldn't cough up), something fierce covering my tongue in the morning and worst of all, my emotions were all over the place. One minute I was happy and feeling alive, the next I was angry and irritated, the next I was laughing and the next I was crying.... this just wasn't what I signed up for.

How could I continue to drink my smoothies (I simply wasn't willing to give up), and lessen my symptoms? The answer was something I really hadn't counted on...


coming soon... My trip to the Colon Hydrotherapist

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome score finding the used vitamix!

i just got one last week finally (posted about it here: http://outofshell.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/vita-mix-love/) and have been in green smoothie heaven!

but i have also been experiencing the weird headaches and increased breakouts. i had been wondering if it was some kind of detox, but thought the same thing as you...i'm not going total gung-ho on the raw foods, so how can it be that? and i've also been craving more fresh fruits too.

anyway, i'm glad you shared your experience with this because it makes things make a bit more sense to me.

Rain Fordyce said...

I am glad this connected with you. I felt pretty alone when I began having symptoms and started researching it.

Extreme Self Care for Detox
1. Tons of water
2. Tons of alone time
3. Tons of rest
4. Warm blankets and cozy socks
5. A motivational book
6. Friends going through the same thing.

Join me on http://womenintheraw.ning.com and find support (and me, too!)

smiles and joy,
Rain