Monday, March 2, 2009

Raw Food Surprise -part 2

This is part 2 of my journey into raw food.

A New Way of Eating

After I wrote the peace treaty about my resistance with food, I surprisingly found myself looking at what I ate in a whole new way. The immediate change was I didn't feel like eating! This was very unusual for me. I wasn't worried about food, instead I was relaxed and happy. For the next two days, I barely ate anything.

When hunger finally hit me, I ate the usual assortment of choices, however, I noticed I was eating slower and more relaxed than I could ever remember! One of the character traits I kept from my binge eating days was eating fast. I had eaten so fast in the past, it had worried my husband and he had spoken about it with me many times to no avail. It wasn't until I was over the reasons for my emotional eating, that the pattern of fast eating stopped.

When I was done eating, I was shocked to find that I was in touch with how my body felt afterward! For those of you who new to eating disorders, disassociating with how your body feels and reacts to what you do to it, is part of keeping the disorder alive. As a binge eater, I was no different.

Something radical had shifted inside my mind, body and spirit since I completed the peace treaty.

What I chose to eat didn't feel as good as it had before, so I decided in that moment to look for a new way to eat and, amazingly, I was excited about it!

I found a healthy food plan called "The Flat Belly Diet" by Prevention Magazine. I wasn't interested in losing weight and I was not going to put myself on their low calorie diet, but I was interested in the idea that we don't eat enough healthy fats. This plan that encouraged you to eat Monounsaturated Fats (they call them MuFas) with every meal, including your snack. I was interested to try it. These fats include seeds, nuts, olives, olive oil, avocados and chocolate!

The first meal of the day encouraged you to eat 1/2 cup of sunflowers seeds with 1 cup of your cereal in the morning. I chose an organic multigrain cereal, raw organic seeds and local raw milk. Wow! Since I no longer was eating fast, you can imagine how long it took me to eat that one bowl of food. My jaws hurt after breakfast! Later that day, I noticed how good and full I felt. I was hooked and I quickly traded in my daily egg breakfast for this cereal mixture for the next two weeks.

The other thing that was different about this plan was drinking Sassy Water. Not only did I love the name, I loved the way this water treat felt in my body! The recipe is basically alkaline ingredients, which helps you to detox your body (and some say lose weight.)

I thought I would share it with you here:

Sassy Water Recipe

The night before: Thinly slice one lemon, one cucumber, one knuckle of peeled ginger and 5 to 10 leaves of mint (all organic) Put in the largest pitcher you have and fill with water (at least 8 cups) and let it set over night.

Drink a tall glass with every meal and feel the alkaline shift your body to wellness!
PS: put the leftovers in your disposal after the day to help it smell fresher!

After a week of this eating plan, without lowering my calories, I lost 5 pounds. It wasn't until I went to see Byron Katie that the next step was introduced...


coming soon... My Introduction to Green Smoothies

2 comments:

Beachbum said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds yummy.

Rain Fordyce said...

It's more than yummy, Beachbum, it's sassy! lol!